Wednesday, January 15, 2014

#GoGreek #TalkShit

Not talking shit about people or organizations is generally a good rule of thumb.

For example: Greek Unity.

Working together to recreate a positive perspective of the Greek community and supporting one another's philanthropies and social events. Cool. Great. Go for it. Whatever.

BUT

Sometimes people deserve to be talked about.
There should have been more talking.  
There should have been more questions.

In light of the recent news of Delta Chi there has been a lot of defense from the Greek community, and understandably.  Most of the Greek people I know are genuinely good people, plenty of my friends belong to a fraternity or sorority.  The good things they do are valid and real and appreciated and recognized.  They told us time and time again that one fraternity doesn't represent them all.  To stop stereotyping Greek Life... Which is exactly what Delta Chi said... one member being a rapist doesn't make us all rapists, so we shouldn't all be punished should we?

But you supported them. 
You created an environment where their behavior was acceptable.
Someone had to take on the role of the "douchey-fraternity" right?
And we looked the other way because
boys will be boys.
And some boys will be rapists.

I've been disgusted with Delta Chi since I was a freshman and was groped at a party. Lesson learned. I've always talked shit about Greek life, particularly Delta Chi.  I've got a list of grievances.  But whenever I would talk to someone in that community about them, I heard nothing in return.

We've all known they were horrible and we just let them be horrible.  

So much of the Greek community is based off tradition and keeping them a secret.  And clearly they're good at keeping their mouths shut. Real leaders acknowledge the flaws of their organization and actively try to improve. REAL LEADERS stand up for what is right, even if it against "one of their own".  Real leaders ignore a gag-order.

Despite that, some action has finally come around... but my heart is still screaming. You went to their parties, supported their philanthropies, you know what they were capable of and continue to stay silent.

Silence condones behavior.

I know I wish I would've done more.
Because I could have.
We all could have.
This is Delta Chi's problem
This is the Greek Community's problem
This is our problem too.
This is our world, our campus and our students.

I weep because I know the only concrete and long-lasting change that can happen to Greek culture has to come within the community itself. And I'm afraid it never will. They are so good at keep their traditions quite. 

We need to talk shit sometimes
and make sure we're heard.



What incident am I referring to you ask?
http://www.cm-life.com/2014/01/13/details-behind-delta-chi-suspension-uncovered-after-foia-request-incidents-date-back-15-years/

No comments: