Thursday, December 30, 2010

Daddy Issues

She falls into arms that might make her bruise,
who don’t cherish her love and her heart they misuse.

Dad must have run out before she could walk,
Beat mom to a pulp or maybe he
just never showed up.
His actions must have somehow doomed her a “slut”.

You can pick her out by her shirt much too low
You’d be the third guys this week, as far as you know.
You draw a label on her forehead
and try your best to ask her to bed.
She would be so easy to use,
Target: The One With “Daddy Issues. “


You look at me like the way this shirt molds my chest,
and my jeans hold my hips
makes me compatible with the sheets on your bed.
I bat my eyes and listen to your lies
because you’re cute and I’m new to this room.
And for a while I am a prize to be won or a gift to be received.
You drink me in saying something like I’m water that you need.

But let’s stop right there before you’re confused

This sweet naïve nineteen-year-old
Ain’t retaining any “daddy issues”

My dad was
strong and he knew how to love
He knew what was important and knew how to have fun.
My dad showed me how a man should treat a woman
Because he knew chumps like you and my faith you could ruin.

I may keep eye contact a moment too long
And sometimes do things that some say to be wrong.
The truth is, I’m smarter than that.
Much smarter than you boy, in fact.

I’ll let you tell me I’m pretty
And the amazing girlfriend you think I would be.
But my dear, I know your intentions
Oh and did I mention…

He taught me to be better,
And the
only daddy issue that may be
is that from six feet under,
he can’t keep stupid college boys away from me.

5 comments:

TQ said...

Sadie, you not only know it, you know how to articulate it. No one beats a double barrow shotgun. Joe would be so proud that you do not have, "Daddy issues". Strong writer, good poet. You are what you intended to be, a winner.

Anonymous said...

"Much smarter than you boy" and so most things are! Your Dad would be beside himself that you have "caught on".. aside from that...--Robert Sevice ...I am so very proud of you--however you need to know...Both Robert and I'll be watching.

Erin Q. Hartman said...

Sadie,
it in interesting to me how you are able to keep your dad alive in such a positive way.. Most girls your age would be looking for some " DADDY" but when you had a real dad.. you don't look for anything but true understanding of who you are as a women.. Your truths are universal.. it is clear who you are.. God we are all so proud of you.
You have what it takes..love AE

Kelly said...

Amazing! I love your blog Sadie.
Your writer voice is coming out loud and STRONG. :)

Love you.

Kelly

B said...

This made me cry! Love it!