Monday, December 13, 2010

Fuel

I have been avoiding publishing certain works of mine, because I have matured past the stage of writing about puppies and rainbows. Nervous because most of the people reading are my family, and I am still probably frozen in their mind to the 8 year old with braces. But recently I have gotten into watching Slam poetry online, basically obsessed, and I realize that if I don't share what I write, than I am hiding a piece of me. Honestly, that isn't fair to you or to me. So now, uncensored, I will post what I write, because it is what I feel and experience. I'm going to be brave and vulnerable. After all, this is my blog, I am nineteen and experiencing college, life is more than puppies and rainbows now. Not that it's all, or even mostly, bad... but it gives you fuel.



I lay there with your arms around my body
Breathing in the memory that I’m prepared to store
For the nights ahead that I already know you won’t call.

Telling myself, “Hey, It’s okay, At least you didn’t go all the way.”

I shave off and dissect the previous encounter in my mind.
Keeping the part where you told me I was beautiful.
Keeping the part where you looked me straight in my eyes,
Where you told me about your family
Where you made me feel special,
Where you called me baby.

Gathering those pieces in the space next to me,
so there is something to weigh down by bed;
Something to warm my covers,
something to hold me close,
something to back up all my lonely teenage clichés.

But the rest of my night is lying next to me too,
Weighing down the mattress with temptation,
Regrets,
Broken ideals,
With disrespect,
Hickies
And lips to be sealed
Secrets to be kept
And expectations to fulfill.

At dawn I'll shuffle around to find my bra and self-respect.
I’ll stuff the good memories in last night’s jeans pocket
And the bad ones will stick to the bottom of my shoe.
Follow me back to my own single mattress
And witness the lies I’ll tell my friends
And the lies I’ll tell myself.

Pretending that next time I won’t settle for temporary.
Next time I’ll stay true to the vows I have professed.
Maybe that next time there won’t even be a next time.

But I know in the fumbled excuses and make up covered tears, pain will echo in my voice no matter the tune I sing.

Tonight I’ll go to bed, with the story I have created. The arms of false hope will rock me to sleep and night by night it will let me become a little more jaded.

Because breaking your own heart is safer than letting a stranger
and I am an expert
at avoiding danger.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am liking getting to know the "raw" you...it is too easy to be what you are very sure what others expect of you...I personally hate "vanilla extract"!

TiffanyBerry said...

I love your writing so very much. And you're correct you'd be doing the free world a disservice if you were to censor yourself. Keep the poetry rolling, Sadie!

Erin Q. Hartman said...

Sadie,
you have far reaching talent.. mostly what else you have is the truth. and the ability of showing us what is in your heart. What an honor it is to be your Aunt..

PQ said...

Dear Sadie, I forgot you ever wore braces. I remember a full grown woman-child sitting on my lap and crying the day her daddy died. I realized that at some point in these past few years you stopped comparing yourself to Lacy, and was pleased with yourself. Values get clarified as time swirls. You are beautiful, vulnerable, honest and I will always love you. Boys are short term strategist trained to play life as a game. So find your bra, clean your room and pull out one of the 10,000 stuffed toys you used to keep hanging over your bed in a big net. Everything meaningful in life grows from being real and knowing ourselves. I won't be surprised. I remember you. Much Love