Wednesday, April 1, 2015

16. Surfing!

We got to Sydney in the afternoon of the 28th and stayed with Dave's friend Ben for two nights. He made us an awesome asian omelette and I failed to make them biscuits and gravy for breakfast. It is difficult to make an American meal NOT in America... the sausage was too lean and the biscuits had to be made from scratch, all with ingredient that are "close enough". Also, let's be honest, I am just not a very good cook. Ben was a superb host, he patiently explained cricket to me, turns out that game takes a LOT of patience because it can last up to five days.  We watched the St. George Dragons win the Rugby game against Manly and he gave me the grand tour of the beaches. I got my first Bondi beach experience, but didn't get up on a surf board until 31st. See!!

So surfing is exhausting. And there is a lot a surfer has to know about the ocean and the ways of the world for their sport. I was impressed and challenged and thrilled when after three hours I rode a wave. I also hurt my foot in the process. But whatevs... battle wounds. 

My next hostel has yoga and surf board rentals for free everyday. <3

No comments: